Jarryd Hayne starts rape conviction appeal process after first night in jail

Having spent his first night behind bars, convicted sex offender Jarryd Hayne is set to challenge the prison sentence handed down to him on Thursday and has lodged a notice of intention to appeal in the New South Wales supreme court.

The former NRL player was jailed for a minimum of three years and eight months after being sentenced to a total of five years and nine months in prison. He was convicted in March of two counts of sexual intercourse without consent for an incident in 2018.

His legal team now has 12 months to lodge a formal appeal.

In handing down Thursday’s sentence, the Newcastle district court judge Helen Syme said she had to send Hayne to prison because non-consensual sexual intercourse was an extreme form of violence.

Syme noted Hayne only stopped attacking the victim when she started to bleed, not when she was telling him no and to stop.

The woman, who cannot be named, said the impact of the assault in 2018 is still being felt.

“I am now 28 and I am still experiencing devastation, mentally, physically, socially and academically,” the woman said in a victim impact statement. “Almost instantly after the assault I was flooded with emotions and incomprehensible feelings I have never experienced before.”

She said Hayne had made her feel “dirty and violated”. She said he had made her feel like an object and had been seeing right through her.

“I have nightmares and flashbacks of his face looking right through me. Sometimes I am so depressed that I can’t get out of bed, there are too many emotional layers to explain,” she said.

Hayne denied two counts of sexual assault.

After being found guilty in March this year, Hayne said he would “rather go to jail knowing I spoke the truth than be a free man living a lie”.

He told reporters outside court at the time: “It’s unfortunate, it’s disappointing, but at the end of the day they’ve come to a decision and I respect that.”